In 1817, two settlements near the main falls of the Genesee River merged to form the village of Rochesterville. The name Rochester was already taken. Rochester's first City Directory was published in 1827 and contained a brief city history. Under 1819 it states, "The title of the village corporation was changed by an act of the legislature from Rochesterville to Rochester."
The settlements which merged were the 100 acre plot purchased by Rochester, Fitzhugh and Carroll in 1803 and the 200 acre plot purchased by Francis Brown, Mathew Brown and others in 1812 and called Frankfort.
The origins of Frankfort are told on a historical marker at Brown's Race.
An issue of Rochester History is titled Frankfort: Birthplace of Rochester's Industry.
The marker also describes Brown's Race, which was built in 1816, as being 1,300 feet long, 30 feet wide and 3 feet deep. The 1935 plat map shows the race covered with planking. It was the most important of Rochester's three races.
The Landmark Society of Western New York has an on-line walking tour of the Brown's Race area.
This illustration is from Frankfort: Birthplace of Rochester's Industry page 3.
1875 Plat Map
George Eastman began manufacturing photo materials along State Street but he would locate his main plant on the north side of the city along Ridge Road West. The address 343 State Street would become iconic as the site of Kodak's business headquarters.
Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, RMSC
The Kodak Office tower was built in 1914.
A new church was built to greet Bishop McQuaid when he arrived as Rochester's first bishop in 1868. It is shown here with Kodak Office in the background. Eastman was not happy with the appearance of the roof on the initial Kodak structure and had it redone in the early 1930's.
State Street is at the top and what is now Plymouth Avenue, it was then Frank Street, at the bottom. At this time much of the land on the east side of Plymouth Avenue was owned by the Catholic Diocese. It would be eventually acquired by Kodak.
The area west of what is now Kodak Office became industrial and contained a rail yard. Lake Avenue was once known as the most beautiful street in the city. As industry grew and workmen and immigrants moved into the area the industrialists began to move to the east side of the city.
State Street is on the right. The Kodak Office area is north of Platt Street along State. On State south of Platt are Rochester Railways (streetcar) and Woodworth Manufacturing. Woodworth was a perfume manufacturer. As the idea of selling women's beauty products developed, Woodworth was one of the first to package powders in specially designed metal compacts.
St. Patrick's Cathedral is in the NE corner of Platt and Franks Street (now Plymouth Avenue).
West of Kodak Office was the New York Central Railroad Yard and Freight House.
Based on the cars in the parking lot, this picture seems to be from the 1950's. St. Patrick's Cathedral is gone. There is a historical marker on what is now the downtown campus of Monroe Community College. Along the right edge center is the Red Rover Fire House which is now along the left field line of Frontier Field. In the upper left is the Platt Street bridge and the Beebee Power Plant and its stacks. They have been removed. Near the left edge center, on what would be the NE corner of Brown and Plymouth, are the Cathedral School and Hall. Both are no longer there. Brown's Square is in the lower left and the rail yard in the lower right.